Friday 20 August 2010

Benjamin Hubert

Dezeentalks at [D3] Design Talents: Benjamin Hubert from Dezeen on Vimeo.

This is a really interesting interview from a young and successful British designer. In the interview, Benjamin makes comments on his role and skills within his company stating that "I probably couldn't make anything to be honest" and so will hire craftsmen to make his designs a reality ! ! !

What I am most attracted to is the range of materials he uses. I like the organic and pure qualities which he continues to translate through the design. Its a celebration of the unordinary with the ordinary. LOVE it!

When I visited his website, it was Float that made me intensely jealous:


On his website, he doesn't just show the finished product, he shows the process (big thumbs up). This CORK lamp shade was shaped on the wooden lathe. This you might not think is a big deal but when it is your favorite wood working process with your all time favorite material, I can tell you it is!

I feel it is a shame that he is not a designer maker, like myself but cannot help but admire his humble designs and well earned success. Hopefully now with him promoting high end craft products, there will finally be a demand and appreciation for designers with those complete set of skills like moi.

No comments:

Post a Comment